replace bad capacitors on a Dell Optiplex GX620

Small form factor Dell GX620 systems were plagued by bad capacitors. Some in the power supply, others on the system motherboard. I don’t recommend replacing components in the power supply, but the capacitors on the motherboard aren’t too hard to replace.

If your Optiplex 620 power light goes amber, or the system starts shutting down due to “thermal events”, open the case and check the five capacitors I have highlighted below.

five that should be replaced

five that should be replaced

If the top of any of them is bulging at all, (or leaking like the one in the back of my picture) you should replace all of the ones I’ve highlighted. You can order them from an online source $6.

I am not a pro at (de)soldering by any means, but I was able to remove the board, replace the capacitors, and re-assemble the system in about an hour. I’ve replaced them on two systems so far and both systems are running like new.

Here are links to the parts I used. (UPDATED: 2/2017)

1800uF 8mm 6.3v (x1)

2200uF 10mm (I’ve talked to the website owner and these are out of stock)

2200uF 10mm 10v – these should be used instead (x4)

Good luck, let me know if you’ve tried this and how it turned out.

By |2017-02-17T13:09:59+00:00February 14th, 2010|repair|8 Comments

8 Comments

1. duminda January 7, 2016 at 12:06 pm - Reply

I have the same issue with my Dell Opti Plex GX620 board and noticed one of the caps shown is bulged out and leaking. also when booting it always try to boot and crashes blinking amber light. should I replace only the one is leaking, or do I have to replace all five of them. please let me know.

• Beecher Bowers January 7, 2016 at 3:42 pm - Reply

If the capacitors are bulged on top or leaking, they should be replaced.

2. Greg Sawicki September 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm - Reply

Thank you for putting your message online. It sure has helped me and probably
    many others.

3. taylork December 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm - Reply

I have replaced the 5 on 4 computers and they are running fine. Thank you for the info.

4. Goran August 6, 2010 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Another thought: Typical caps have a 20% tolerance. 20% of 1800 uF is 360 uF. Should be fine with any value reasonable close to 1800 uF thus.

5. Goran August 6, 2010 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Hmm, can’t find a 1800 uF cap here, but both 1500 uF and 2200 uF are easy to get… Anyone tried using either of them instead of the 1800 uF one?

Guess I could parallel a 1500 uf with a 330 uF to get a 1830 uF… Should be close enough.

6. andromda April 14, 2010 at 10:10 am - Reply

Hi!

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 that starts rebooting a few times when I start the computer in the morning, but wait and let the computer restarts 2 or more times, and it starts running OK!!!. First, try to change the video card, but the problem continues, any ideas?

Greetings.

PD: I’ll look inside to find these capacitors to check them out!

• bbowers April 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm - Reply

power-on problems are one of the most common symptoms of these bad caps, since they are involved in the power regulation