How to Fix a Fidget Spinner

I recently wrote an article about the best fidget spinners and fidget cubes and how they can help solve a fidgeting problem. There you’ll also find a link to the most expensive fidget spinner.
Be sure to check it out if you’re looking for a way to fix fidgeting!

Now I’ll show you how to fix a fidget spinner when it stops spinning smoothly and clean a fidget spinner when it gets noisy while spinning.inside a fidget spinner bearing

Fidget spinners work off momentum and bearings. Momentum doesn’t usually fail, it’s the bearings. So when your spinner gets noisy or doesn’t spin as long as it should, 99% of the time the problem is the center bearing. Remember, the fidget spinner bearing is either made of steel or ceramic material. Each has their own problems that can require cleaning.

Reasons Fidget Spinners Stop Working

Dirty Bearings

One of the primary causes of hand spinners getting noisy or vibrating when used, is dirt or pocket lint getting into the bearing. Bearings typically have grease packed in between them and a rubber or metal gasket shielding them from the elements. Not so with the center bearing on your fidget spinner. The grease and gasket has been removed to allow the bearing to spin faster. The drawback to this is that pocket lint and other material can work its way past the spinner button(part you grasp with your fingers when spinning) and into the bearing tracks. Cleaning a fidget spinner is the first step to fixing a noisy spin.

Here’s how to clean a fidget spinner bearing

1. Remove the button by separating the halves.

fidget spinner with button removed revealing ceramic bearings

Fidget spinner with button removed

2. Next, grasp the spinner by the center ring of the bearing and spin it quickly.
  3. Use a can of compressed air aimed at the circle of bearings to blow out the bearings while they’re spinning. This will get small particles removed from your bearing tracks.
  4. If that doesn’t resolve the problem, press the complete bearing out of your hand spinner(here’s what it will look like), rinse it in a small bowl of alcohol and immediately/completely dry it. Don’t use water as it can cause the metal to rust, ruining the bearing.

Broken Bearings

Fidget spinners with ceramic bearings are more prone to broken bearings than those with steel ball bearings. While ceramic bearings do allow for better spin times, they are ceramic which is very hard but also brittle. It’s possible to drop the hand spinner hard enough to shatter one or more of the ceramic bearings. While steel bearings won’t break, they can rust or break their housing. Bearing replacement is the only option for broken bearings. Follow the instructions below to order and replace the bearing.

Rusty Bearings

The question I’m getting asked the most is how to get rust off a fidget spinner bearing.
This solution is not guaranteed, but it’s a trick used by skateboarders. It can get you a little more use out of a rusty fidget spinner bearing.

Here’s how to get rust off a fidget spinner

1. Remove the rusty bearing from the fidget spinner
  2. Soak the bearing in vinegar for about 30 minutes.
  3. Rinse in rubbing alcohol (not water, water will rust them)
  4. Let them air dry, use a hair dryer if you’re pressed for time
  5. If you see it removed a lot of rust, you might try repeating once more.

Ordering New Bearings

identify fidget spinner bearing

608RS bearing

Before reading this, understand the most common size bearing you will need is the 608 bearing. It’s used by 99% of fidget spinner manufacturers, the chart at the bottom of this page has multiple grades of bearings that fit these spinners.

Sometimes you can’t fix the bearing, you just need to order a new bearing and replace the old one. This is VERY simple and all you need is a little information, a few bucks and less than five minutes.

First you need to identify the bearing you’re replacing. Bearings are usually identified by numbers on the gaskets on each side (see pic at right). Unfortunately, most of the center bearings on fidget spinners have their gaskets removed, so a bearing number can be hard to find. If you don’t have the number of the center bearing, compare it to the bearings used as weights on the ends of your fidget spinner. Nine out of ten times, they’re the same bearing size, just a cheaper model since they’re just acting as weights. If they are the same size and have a model number visible, you’re set. If they don’t, you’ll need to get a couple of measurements of your bearing. In millimeters, measure the three spans shown in the picture, inner diameter (ID), outer diameter(OD) and

Click to See Measurement Points

height. Digital calipers are great for this, but a simple ruler with mm measurements will work too. These numbers in that order indicate the size of the bearing you need. For example, if the measurements collected were 9, 20, 6; the bearing size you need will be listed as a 9x20x6mm or 9*20*6mm.

Once you’ve identified the bearing size, we just need to find the replacement bearing. Before finding the new bearing, here’s something you need to know. Above, I mentioned a couple of letters after the bearing number on the gaskets. These numbers indicate bearing features. As an example, if your bearing is a model 608 RS, that means it is model 608 and has or had a Rubber Seal gasket on one side when shipped. 2RS means it had a Rubber Seal gasket on both sides. When ordering a new bearing, you’ll want a model RS or 2RS, but NOT a Z or ZZ. Z or ZZ indicates the bearing comes with metal gaskets on both sides. They’re not high speed bearings and won’t work well on your fidget spinner.

Use the chart at the bottom of this page to find the right bearings for your fidget spinner.

How to Replace the Bearing on Your Fidget Spinner

Confirm the bearing you ordered and received is the right size for your spinner. Do this first, because we’re about to make it much faster, but we will also void the warranty.

1. Use a small screwdriver or plastic tool to pry the edge of the gaskets out from under the metal all the way around the outer edge of the new bearings, then remove the gaskets. Do this on both sides of the bearing, if both sides have gaskets.
  2. Spray some WD-40 into the bearings to dissolve any grease present. Do it over a sink or something so it doesn’t get everywhere. Get all the grease out. Grease is great if the bearing will be getting hot or under pressure, but a fidget spinner has neither. Some people use acetone, but it can break down plastic and some bearings use plastic around the ball bearings.
  3. Rinse the bearing in rubbing alcohol to remove the WD-40 and then let it dry.
  4. While it’s drying, use your thumbs to press the old bearing out of the center of your hand spinner. It will be tight, but it will come out.
  5. Press the new bearing in its place and you’re done!

That’s the most difficult repair you might ever have to do on your fidget spinner and it takes only a few minutes to get it working again.

If you need more help fixing your gadget, post a comment below!

Replacement Fidget Spinner Buttons / Caps

There’s now a couple companies that make easy to replace metal replacement fidget spinner buttons (second source)for the 608 bearing size spinner. This is the most common bearing size used in fidget spinners. This is great news, as previously, glue, putty or a 3d printed button were the only options.

Do You Want to Buy Individual Bearings?

I’ve heard from a few people that the cost of buying a complete pack of the ceramic bearings prevents them from buying and replacing the bearing. If I sold them individually, is it something you might be interested in? Use the comments and let me know!

Replacement Fidget Spinner Bearings

BrandFits Bearing NumberDescriptionImage
VXB Full Ceramic608 (8x22x7mm)Completely Ceramic (ZrO2) bearing. One of the longest spin times for the money
ZrO2/Si3N4 Ceramic Bearing608 (8x22x7mm)Completely Ceramic bearing.(ZrO2/Si3N4 hybrid) One of the longest spin times for the money
Bones "Redz" Model608 (8x22x7mm)
Most common size of bearings for hand spinners.
You'll need to remove the rubber gaskets, and remove grease. They'll spin like greased lightning.
"Bones Ceramic Redz"608 (8x22x7mm)
Most common size of bearings for hand spinners.
These are the ceramic version of the Redz bearing above. More expensive, but virtually silent.ceramic skate bearings
SupaFly Alpha608 (8x22x7mm)
Most common size of bearings for hand spinners.
Good, mid grade bearing priced between the Bones Reds and the Ceramic Redssupafly alpha bearings
R188 BearingR188 size (1/4"x1/2"x1/8")Mid-grade replacement bearing for the R188 size bearingr188 fidget spinner bearing
Yellow Jacket608 (8x22x7mm)Well-rated for fidget spinners, but not as fast as the ceramic bearings above.

(here’s more information on bearing markings)
By | 2017-04-25T05:35:17+00:00 January 29th, 2017|fun, gadgets|178 Comments

178 Comments

1. Cade April 25, 2017 at 6:56 pm - Reply

I have abec-7 bearings, as I able to take them out without breaking? And if so, what do I take out the bearings with?

• Beecher Bowers April 25, 2017 at 7:19 pm - Reply

abec-7 is a rating used to describe the tolerance of precision. They higher the abec rating, the more precise the fit. Removal and method will depend on the spinner itself. Standard plastic spinners will usually let you pop the bearing out with your thumbs or with a nickel as in the video above.

2. Derrk April 25, 2017 at 4:57 pm - Reply

I need help, my spinner is wobbling and vibrating a little?!? Is there a fix with no replacements?

• Beecher Bowers April 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm - Reply

If you clean it and it still wobbles, probably not.

3. Unicorns April 25, 2017 at 9:51 am - Reply

Today I dropped my spinner and two of the black washers fell out and a metal covering that was inside. I put the two washers in but I couldn’t find the metal cover and now it only spins for like 5 seconds and stops. HELLLLPPPP

• Beecher Bowers April 25, 2017 at 7:21 pm - Reply

use the email address on my contact page(at top) and send me a pic of all parts

• Beecher Bowers April 24, 2017 at 3:12 pm - Reply

It’s only $9 with shipping, and it’s shipped directly from China. It’s probably not going to have the quality control it should, for that cost. Just remember, with electronic parts, it’s also something else to break. I don’t have one of those in my stock of spinners, but I am guessing there’s a battery in each lighted section, another future cost to remember.

All that said, even if all teh batteries die, you should still be able to replace the main bearing, should it have a problem.

4. Spencer R April 24, 2017 at 12:21 pm - Reply

For my spinner, I want to take out the round bearings on my spinner. How can I do it easily without breaking it?

• Beecher Bowers April 24, 2017 at 3:13 pm - Reply

If you mean the bearings on the end of each arm of your spinner, that serve as weights, you should be able to press them out. If not, you can try the nickel method I demonstrate in the video. Most bearings aren’t glued to the spinner.

5. Hudson April 23, 2017 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Hi I dropped my spinner and it will only spin for 30 seconds what should I do

• Beecher Bowers April 24, 2017 at 9:32 am - Reply

If it’s ceramic, theres a chance it broke. Steel won’t break as easily, but either type could have picked up dirt or lint or something when it fell. Try cleaning it out.

6. Jamie Raybone April 23, 2017 at 2:55 pm - Reply

Is there any other alternative to rubbing alcohol

• Beecher Bowers April 24, 2017 at 9:34 am - Reply

You could try acetone, but be careful it’s very flammable and can irritate your skin, and do even worse on your eyes if it splashes in them.

7. Ashley Labra April 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm - Reply

I just bought a fidget spinner today, and while I was spinning it I dropped it on the floor but I was in a place with a lot of people so I didn’t notice if it made any noises it didn’t before. When I got home and I started spinning it I noticed it was making a noise it didn’t before, it sounds like metal rubbing against metal and I tried cleaning it but that didn’t work. Should I be considered that I may have broken a bearing?

• Beecher Bowers April 22, 2017 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Its possible, especially if the bearing is ceramic. If its not, there’s also the chance that part of the bearing retainer ring cracked. That ring is what spaces the ball bearings inside the assembly. Its also possible it just got pocket lint in it.

8. Mich April 22, 2017 at 7:19 am - Reply

I dropped my spinner in water by accident, when i try spinning it again after its dry, its speed decreased alot and eventually stops , any thought on how to fix it ?

• Beecher Bowers April 23, 2017 at 12:35 pm - Reply

It’s most likely rusted. Try the vinegar removal trick I mention in the article. If it doesn’t work, you’ll need a new bearing

9. Ricardo April 21, 2017 at 8:52 pm - Reply

I just bought my spinner off a website and the spinner wont to wobble every time I spin it.How do I fix this!

• Beecher Bowers April 23, 2017 at 12:33 pm - Reply

It’s most likely the bearing. Inexpensive spinners often skimp on the bearing quality, as they’re the most expensive part of it.

10. Stephanie April 21, 2017 at 8:04 am - Reply

Hi, my son’s spinner went through the wash and ended up in the drier before I realized it. Now he says it doesn’t spin right. Any advice on how to fix this? Thanks!

• Beecher Bowers April 21, 2017 at 8:58 am - Reply

Pop out the bearing, Let it dry completely. After it’s dry, give it a soak in vinegar for about 30 minutes. That should take out any fine rust that may have formed. Rinse it thoroughly in rubbing alcohol and let it air dry, or use a blow dryer on it. If that doesn’t work, he may need a new bearing. (see chart above)

• Saad Siddiqui April 22, 2017 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Quick question: I bought a couple of spinners from Amazon (cheap knockoffs) and all of them except one have the same sized bearings in each hole. The excluded one had the three bearings but the center hole was smaller and had to 2 foil like strands that were shaped into a circle (probably the “ball” bearings). These snapped right when I tugged on them and I wanted to know if there’s a smaller size for bearings that might fit into the center? Shall I send a picture?

• Beecher Bowers April 22, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Yes. Please do. Ill take a look. Make sure all removed parts are pictured

11. AMAL SUDEESH April 20, 2017 at 2:57 pm - Reply

My one of the arm bearings slightly came out and i cant put it back.
    Pls help me

• Beecher Bowers April 21, 2017 at 9:02 am - Reply

If it’s just partially out, lay the arm flat on a counter or something with the part of the bearing that’s out, pointing up. lay a block of wood or a hardback book over the bearing and use your fist to thump it a few times back into place.

12. Kden Williams April 20, 2017 at 1:22 pm - Reply

it also has a little like ridge around the outside of where the bearing goes when i try to spin it with the ridge down it doesnt spin very well at all but the other side works great

• Beecher Bowers April 21, 2017 at 9:03 am - Reply

That’s usually a bad bearing. Inexpensive spinners often have this problem.

13. Kden Williams April 20, 2017 at 1:19 pm - Reply

My fidget spinner has two arms and on one side it spins really well but when i flip it over it spins for 5-7 seconds at most and how do i keep the bearing from falling out. please help me

14. George April 19, 2017 at 11:45 pm - Reply

So oiled my ceramic bearing thinking it will make it faster and spin longer and it did for a little but now my spin time went from 2 mins to 17 seconds. What should I do? Should I clean it with alcohol to remove the WD-40 or is it over for this bearing?

• Beecher Bowers April 21, 2017 at 9:04 am - Reply

I would try the alcohol rinse prior to replacing the bearing. It’s cheaper. If you replace it, go with the yellow jacket bearings from the chart, if they’re the right size.

15. Mike April 19, 2017 at 9:29 pm - Reply

One of the plastic caps on a bearing on my spinner has become loose and keeps popping off. What caused this and how do I fix it?

16. HELP ME April 19, 2017 at 9:03 pm - Reply

I just got my fidget spinner and I have noticed that one of the outside bearings are heavier than the other two. How do I fix it so it would all be the same weight?

• Beecher Bowers April 21, 2017 at 9:08 am - Reply

Replace all three. Buy a set of cheap bearings that are the right size. These are cheap 608 size that will work fine as the outer bearings.

17. David Rodriguez April 19, 2017 at 5:50 pm - Reply

I got my spinner yesterday and it was spinning just fine and now it’s not spinning for the same amount of time as it did yesterday and every time it stops spinning it makes sort of a scratchy noise.

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 7:55 pm - Reply

try cleaning it out with compressed air

18. Jordan April 19, 2017 at 4:58 pm - Reply

I need help. I have an infinite spin precision spinner. It’s all metal with r188 bearings. It has screw on buttons and idk what happened but I can unscrew the bottom button to reveal the metal cap on top of the bearing but I can’t unscrew the top button. I want to clean my bearings but I can’t unscrew it. Help me? 🙁

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Does the metal cap on top the bearing have a slot in it? You should be able to unscrew the bearing cap with a coin. Try tapping the stuck cap out with the eraser end of a pencil.

19. Prince Reverse April 19, 2017 at 3:04 pm - Reply

I took apart my spinner trying to clean it, and there are a couple issues now
    1. I accidentally banged the finger-pad and now it is stuck to the middle bearing part.
    2.i cannot get the little balls back in place.
    3. I can’t get the ring out of the spinner

Please help me with this, it means a lot to me

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 3:09 pm - Reply

1. You might try tapping it out from the other side of the bearing with the eraser end of a pencil
      2. The little balls should be kept in the bearing. The bearing assembly needs to come out as one piece. It’s not easy to get it back together
      3. Same as #2, but you might try tapping it out as shown in the video at the bottom of the article.

You’ll probably need to get a new bearing

• Jake April 20, 2017 at 8:50 pm - Reply

The metal balls fell out of the plastic bearing wheel of my new fidget spinner. Any tips on putting it back together? We cannot get the metal balls to seat properly to allow the finger buttons to snap back together.

• Beecher Bowers April 21, 2017 at 9:00 am

It’s really hard to get them back together and have them spin smoothly. I would order a pack of new bearings so you can replace it and have spares. If they’re the right size, the Yellow Jackets work well.

20. Hayden Cashat April 19, 2017 at 1:20 am - Reply

I have an all metal fidget spinner. The center bearing is different than the three arm bearings. The caps unscrew to reveal a little metal ring that cover the center bearing. I dropped the spinner and now this center ring comes undone and the bearing presses against one of the caps and had a spin time of a few seconds. BTW, the center bearing is a R188 Stainless Bearing I think. Do you have any suggestions for my problem? I think that if I bought a new bearing the little ring still wouldn’t stay in place correctly.

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 5:34 am - Reply

Send me a pic of the center bearing and the little ring you mentioned. Use the email address on my contact page. I’ll see what can be done

21. Ethan April 18, 2017 at 10:51 pm - Reply

My spinner is really squeaky when it used to not be. Any ways to fix that without affecting the spin time or speed?.

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 5:31 am - Reply

You can try cleaning it out (compressed air, then rubbing alcohol rinse). A light oil will stop the squeak, but will affect spin time.

22. Braeden April 18, 2017 at 10:07 pm - Reply

Hi! I just got my fidget spinner today, and I didn’t realize it in the store or out in public because of all the noise around me, (cars, people, etc.) but when I got into a quiteter place, I started using it again and I noticed a wierd hissing sound. I watched a few YouTube videos of people showing off their fidget spinners and they never made this wierd hissing sound. Any suggestions on what to do?

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 5:30 am - Reply

Usually, if they hiss, they’re ceramic bearings. Steel bearings won’t hiss, but generally won’t spin as long.

23. Richard graetz April 18, 2017 at 8:34 pm - Reply

why won’t my bearing fit anymore in my fidget spinner.I pushed it out so I could hydro dip but in one of the places it won’t fit properly.

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 5:37 am - Reply

Not positive, but some of the dip may have gotten into the area where the bearing fits in. They’re made with tight tolerances and even a layer of hydro will keep them from fitting back in.

24. Sean April 18, 2017 at 3:16 pm - Reply

I have a torquebar spinner. After one day it decided to not spin very well on one side but still spins great on the other side?
    Not sure what the problem might be.

Thanks,

• Beecher Bowers April 19, 2017 at 5:35 am - Reply

I’ve had that experience with less expensive bearings. Usually, it’s the way the bearing is assembled.

25. Henry April 18, 2017 at 4:09 am - Reply

I lost my button in my fidget spinner please tell me what to do

26. Brandon April 18, 2017 at 2:42 am - Reply

I’ve been searching Google for a solution for a 2 “armed” spinner that doesn’t spin on a traditional skateboard or scooter bearing, but a very small, metal bearing. I can’t find an exact name for it but here’s a link: http://amzn.to/2pyLTnv though I believe it’s called a Xinzistar as shown in the link, but when you click it, it’s labeled deifferently. When I first got it, it worked perfectly, having an average spin time around 2:15-2:30 holding it from both sides, but soon when holding it from one of the sides, the spin time became around 8-14 seconds, while holding it the other way it stayed the original spin time. When I push down hard on the cap it makes a clicking noise and then works normally again, but in a few minutes goes back to the broken state. Any solutions?

• Beecher Bowers April 18, 2017 at 3:04 pm - Reply

If you’re able to send me a pic of the bearing(use the email on the contact page at the top) I might be able to find out what the problem is.

27. clayton April 17, 2017 at 9:07 pm - Reply

The balls fell out on one of the outside bearings I don’t have a clue how to put them back in

• Beecher Bowers April 18, 2017 at 3:07 pm - Reply

If they’re the same, you might replace your center bearing and put the old one on the outside. Send me a pic (using email address on my contact page) and I’ll see if there’s a way to reassemble. Usually, they don’t go in easily though

28. Matt April 17, 2017 at 3:05 pm - Reply

I got my spinner today and after spinning it for an hour or so, one of the arm bearing gaskets came off. Is there any way I can get it to stay back on without buying a new one?

• Beecher Bowers April 17, 2017 at 3:09 pm - Reply

If it’s a rubber gasket, just carefully use a knife blade or something to slip the edge back under the bearing rim. If it’s a metal gasket, there’s a C ring that came installed with it. You have to put the gasket in, then fit the c-ring back in to hold it in place. If it’s a press-fit metal gasket (you’ll see little “cuts” into the gasket all the way around), you can press it back in, but it may be bent enough that it won’t stay

29. Cameron April 17, 2017 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Mine spinner got wet and it rusted so I used brake cleaner, WD-40, and other different types of lubricants and it made it quiter and it spins a little bit better and longer but not perfect.

30. Dylan April 17, 2017 at 12:45 pm - Reply

I got my fidget yesterday, it still spins for about a minute and a half but all of a sudden when i make it ramp sideways back and forth, it makes a grinding and rackety noise. Any solutions?

• Beecher Bowers April 17, 2017 at 12:59 pm - Reply

It’s the bearing. It’s pretty common for that noise to be heard when they’re ramped as it torques pretty hard on them.

31. Sydney April 16, 2017 at 11:37 am - Reply

I accidentally dropped my spinner in a hot tube while playing with it the next morning it won’t spin. How do I get rid of rust

• Beecher Bowers April 16, 2017 at 1:07 pm - Reply

I’ve found just recently that you can try soaking the bearing in vinegar for about a half-hour, then rinse it in rubbing alcohol. The vinegar can remove a good bit of the rust as it’s really acidic. If once doesn’t do it, try repeating.

• Beecher Bowers April 16, 2017 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Sometimes a soak in vinegar for about a half-hour, then a rinse in alcohol can remove it. Try repeating the alcohol rinse if the first time doesn’t take care of it.

32. FIGETER April 16, 2017 at 7:37 am - Reply

Just a question, what do the bearings on the rim of a tri spinner do? (PLASTIC)

• Beecher Bowers April 16, 2017 at 7:44 am - Reply

If you mean a spinner that has three “arms” on it, those bearings are just weight for inertia. Usually these bearings are slightly off-spec where they won’t spin well enough to be a center bearing. On less expensive bearings, their measurements may even be off just a hair.

33. Happystarcat3 April 14, 2017 at 9:40 am - Reply

My figit spinner is vibrating to the touch it wont spin as long as it should.when i opened the tow caps i noticed rust on them. But the night before i tried putting it under some water to see if the spinner would spin the water around. i didn’t dry it after that the next morning witch is now i noticed the rust. now it is vibrating again and i wondered if the water influenced this. Now i am trying everything i can to get the rust off. i finally got it off but the figit still would not work. I am at a lost and have no idea what to do now. i could not understand your instructions either. HELP ME AND MY FIGIT.

• Beecher Bowers April 14, 2017 at 6:58 pm - Reply

You should replace the bearing. Don’t get them wet. They never dry completely and will rust first.

• Gannon April 15, 2017 at 3:42 pm - Reply

I just used 3 in 1 oil and it doesn’t make
      noise really but my spin time is between
      15-20 seconds when it used to be about 1:45
      what do I do?

• Beecher Bowers April 15, 2017 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Use a napkin or paper towel and try to soak off some of the oil. Sometimes too much oil can slow it down too much. If that doesnt do it, you can remove teh bearing, remove the oil with WD-40 then rinse in rubbing alcohol or acetone(quickly)

34. Anonymous April 13, 2017 at 10:09 pm - Reply

My bearing has grease in it. I tried soaking in acetone but it didn’t work. Any help?

• Beecher Bowers April 14, 2017 at 6:57 pm - Reply

try wd-40. then use acetone(quick rinse) or rubbing alcohol to get the WD-40 off

35. tuck April 13, 2017 at 8:15 pm - Reply

One of the buttons on my spinner fell of. When I try to put it back in, it just falls right back out. What do i do?

• Beecher Bowers April 14, 2017 at 6:56 pm - Reply

You can get a new set of buttons. Usually, once they start falling out, they won’t stop. If you want to try it, you can try using a piece of putty or something between the cap pieces.

36. Will April 13, 2017 at 5:35 am - Reply

What do you do if your caps will not come off?

• Beecher Bowers April 13, 2017 at 5:52 am - Reply

try unscrewing them. If it’s a more expensive model, they are sometimes threaded to keep them together. If not, they may be glued. There’s not a real easy answer for that. You may have to break them apart, then buy a nice set of buttons.

37. Ziyaad April 12, 2017 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Hello , All of the balls inside the buttons came out after I spinner it underwater, I have everything but I don’t know what to do

• Beecher Bowers April 12, 2017 at 1:48 pm - Reply

new bearing will be best solution. Use the chart further up this page.

38. Tom April 12, 2017 at 12:33 pm - Reply

I took the bearing out, doused it in gin. Dried it, now it doesn’t spin at all.
    What do I do?

• Beecher Bowers April 12, 2017 at 1:50 pm - Reply

try rinsing in rubbing alcohol. If that doesn’t work, you may need a new bearing. Use the chart above to find a good one

39. Teresa April 11, 2017 at 11:33 pm - Reply

The center of both of my sons spinners have come loose and won’t stay in. This happened while he was spinning it

• Beecher Bowers April 12, 2017 at 6:13 am - Reply

You can replace the center(called buttons). There are a couple company making metal fidget spinner buttons that screw together so they won’t come apart or fall out.

40. Gaurav April 11, 2017 at 9:12 pm - Reply

First, my bearing was spinning for a long time now it’s not even close. I applied mechanical oil to a steel ball bearing and then washed it with water. I think I messed up, what do I do now?

• Beecher Bowers April 12, 2017 at 6:10 am - Reply

If not rusted yet, rinse in rubbing alcohol and let it dry

41. Connor April 11, 2017 at 4:47 pm - Reply

I accidently managed to bring open the whole bearing and all of the balls inside are out now I have all the pieces but dont know what to do to fix it

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 4:49 pm - Reply

While it is possible to get it back together, youre better off getting a new bearing

• James April 12, 2017 at 4:23 am - Reply

All the steel balls came out :/

42. jeff April 11, 2017 at 4:37 pm - Reply

the bearing of my spinner is catching how do i fix that? its the tiny ball bearing. its the exact same one as the picture

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 4:43 pm - Reply

You can try cleaning with compressed air then if needed, rubbing alcohol

43. Kirsten April 10, 2017 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Hi. My fidget spinner got wet with some soap and now it is making a noise. What should I do?

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 2:44 pm - Reply

if it hasn’t rusted, rinse it in rubbing alcohol and let it dry completely

44. Cameron April 10, 2017 at 9:16 pm - Reply

My fidget spinner got wet and rusty what do I do

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Replacing the bearing is about the only step.

45. person with fidget April 10, 2017 at 3:22 pm - Reply

Hi, is it OK to put ceramic bearings in water?

• Beecher Bowers April 10, 2017 at 3:31 pm - Reply

no. the bearing housing is metal and will rust

• Gannon April 11, 2017 at 2:41 pm - Reply

I used rubbing alcohol to clean the middle bearing
        and it did make it spin way smoother but
        know it louder. How do I fix that

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Do you have a ceramic or steel ball bearing ?

• Gannon April 11, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Ceramic

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 2:57 pm

ceramic is going to have a whir or hiss to it when they spin. You can always re-oil it if you’d rather have them quiet. Just use a very light oil, like 3-in-1 oil. Only a drop is needed.

• Gannon April 11, 2017 at 3:00 pm

What about a steel one

• Beecher Bowers April 11, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Typically, an un-oiled steel bearing is quieter than an un-oiled ceramic bearing but wont spin as long

46. Eliser April 10, 2017 at 5:09 am - Reply

Mine got wet and became rusty what should I do ?

• Beecher Bowers April 10, 2017 at 5:14 am - Reply

You’ll need to replace it.

47. Charbel April 10, 2017 at 12:06 am - Reply

Where do i order the middle bearing from?

• Beecher Bowers April 10, 2017 at 5:14 am - Reply

This chart has a set of links for replacement fidget spinner bearings

48. Scott April 9, 2017 at 5:19 pm - Reply

My spinner only spins for about 30 seconds at a time. It does not have normal sized bearings and I am not able to take them out. Is there something I can do?

• Beecher Bowers April 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm - Reply

To make your fidget spinner spin faster, you can try cleaning it out with a can of compressed air. If you are unable to remove the bearings, they may be glued in and you may just need to get a new spinner. Check the links on this page for a decent spinner.

49. Zach Ruby April 8, 2017 at 9:07 pm - Reply

My fidget spinner body is cracked by where a bearing goes and I was wondering if I should glue it back together with super strong glue

• Beecher Bowers April 9, 2017 at 12:00 pm - Reply

you can try a light super glue(not a thick glue). be aware it could, depending on the plastic used on your spinner, melt the plastic a little, or put your spinner slightly off-balance. If you have the glue around, it would be cheapest to try it before buying another spinner.

50. Matt April 8, 2017 at 7:34 pm - Reply

I got my spinner today and it was spinning for about 2 minutes every time but all of a sudden it slowed down and won’t spin as fast. I can’t see anything in the bearings and don’t know what type they are. They are smaller than normal size. What can I do?

• Beecher Bowers April 9, 2017 at 12:03 pm - Reply

if it slowed down that much, chances are there’s something small(lint or dust) in the bearing. Try a can of compressed air to spray it out while it’s spinning.

51. Noah April 8, 2017 at 6:13 pm - Reply

My figet spinner went from 1minute to 25 seconds after I oiled it because it was making sound what should I do

• Beecher Bowers April 9, 2017 at 12:01 pm - Reply

You can remove the bearing and rinse it in common rubbing alcohol to remove the oil. Then let it air dry. Don’t use water to rinse it as it will rust it

52. esteph818 April 7, 2017 at 7:43 pm - Reply

My spinner works fine but, the cap in the middle where you hold the spinner seems to be broken and/or loose but I can’t seem to be able to see any difference between the one that is broken and the one that is fine.
    Can you help me?

• Beecher Bowers April 7, 2017 at 7:47 pm - Reply

Sometimes the spinner buttons are the least well built part of the spinner. If they were bulk-made, just removing them once could cause them to fit loosely. If you get a good set of spinner buttons, you’ll be able to use them with your current spinner and others you buy in the future. Here are buttons for the 608 bearing size spinner and the 606 size spinner.

53. grayson April 7, 2017 at 3:37 pm - Reply

hey my plastic middle is broke the balls wont stay in and wont fit how do I fix it

• Beecher Bowers April 7, 2017 at 7:25 pm - Reply

if the spinner body is broken around where the bearing fits in, you’ll need a new spinner. If it’s a plastic ring inside the bearing, and the little ball bearings are coming out, you’ll need a new bearing.

54. Tyler April 6, 2017 at 2:09 pm - Reply

I have a spinner so unique, I can’t find a fix for it anywhere. It’s called a Dragon Spinner and it has very small bearing in the middle. It seemed to slow down a lot after one day, how do I speed this up? Also, the caps are too long, so they hit each other so only one bearing is snug, and the other I can turn it upside down, and it would fall off with no effort. How can I fix that I can actually have the caps stay on in the middle?

• Beecher Bowers April 6, 2017 at 3:32 pm - Reply

Use the email address from my contact page and send me a picture of your spinner.

55. David April 5, 2017 at 11:42 pm - Reply

My spinner came in the mail today and I’ve been playing with it a lot and for some reason it’s making a wsssssss kind of noise and I don’t see anything in the bearings could it be the center bearing?

• Beecher Bowers April 6, 2017 at 8:50 am - Reply

the almost hissing sound you describe is normal if you are using ceramic bearings. Typically they have a light hiss. Clicking is usually a problem with dirt or the ball bearings themselves.

56. Trevor April 5, 2017 at 10:22 pm - Reply

I just got a 3 point spinner tonight, 608rs and abec 7 bearings. My middle bearing is making noises and slowing down slightly. When I got it and took it out of the box, it was almost silent. Now it is quite loud. Also when I take it out of the spinner frame, and spin it and look inside the spinner, the ring around the balls inside is not even throughout the bearing, so it is off center of the balls, on one side it is almost touching the outside, the other is almost touching the inside. I don’t know if that is supposed to happen. Thanks!

• Trevor April 5, 2017 at 10:29 pm - Reply

Also, when I first got it, it was very smooth, now it is vibrating when I spin it, and sounds like there is something inside the bearings, even after the compressed air.

• Beecher Bowers April 6, 2017 at 8:53 am - Reply

I’ve seen this happen with less expensive spinners that use lower grade bearings. I’d recommend getting some Bones Reds or Yellow Jacket bearings. As long as your spinner is well balanced, they’ll really improve even a cheap spinner.

57. Wilk Alloe April 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm - Reply

What do i do about rust on all of my bearings is there a way to fix that

• Beecher Bowers April 4, 2017 at 5:44 pm - Reply

you can try cleaning it out, but once rust is started, it’s hard to keep it from coming back. WD-40 would probably keep it from coming back, but may slow down the spinner or slowly leak out over time in your pocket.

58. Liz April 4, 2017 at 5:40 pm - Reply

It is plastic and appears to be slightly warped.. it’s not exactly flat anymore.. I can’t force the bearings back in with thumbs.. it seems like the holes are just barely too small now. Thanks you for your help.

• Beecher Bowers April 4, 2017 at 5:43 pm - Reply

yeah, the heat must have gotten to it. Even if you were to get it back in, it wouldn’t be balanced anymore. Time for a new spinner!

59. Austin April 4, 2017 at 5:18 pm - Reply

my new spinner is squealing and just got it yesterday night, and its not spinning as well too

• Beecher Bowers April 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm - Reply

Try cleaning the bearing as described in the post above. It sounds as if there’s something in it.

• Austin April 5, 2017 at 7:18 am - Reply

theres a metal covering over the beaings so cant get to itunless i brake it open

• Beecher Bowers April 5, 2017 at 9:49 am

You have a ZZ model bearing. The metal gasket will come off if you pry it with a screwdriver or something(be careful not to gouge your finger doing it) but you probably won’t get it back on. This guy has a good “how to” for removing them.

60. Bob April 4, 2017 at 2:06 am - Reply

Does the rusty bearing in the center of the fidget spinner affects the speed of the fidget spinner?

• Beecher Bowers April 4, 2017 at 5:15 am - Reply

definitely. Best option is to replace the bearing (see some good bearing alternatives above in the chart).

61. Krystle Cooke April 4, 2017 at 12:08 am - Reply

I got it off!! Just took some shimmying! Also put some wd40 on it and it’s great!! Thanks for the tips! Also, Jinsey are on amazon! 🙂

• Beecher Bowers April 4, 2017 at 5:11 am - Reply

great! Glad to hear. And I found the Jinsey Spinner. Thanks!

62. Liz April 3, 2017 at 8:40 pm - Reply

I washed and dried my son’s new fidget spinner. All the bearings came out and I can’t snap them back in. It’s like the body of it shrank. Any ideas I’m how to repair..?

• Beecher Bowers April 4, 2017 at 5:14 am - Reply

Is the spinner made of wood or plastic? How badly did it shrink? e.g. noticeably, where you can see it’s never going back in, or just tight enough the bearings won’t press back in using your thumbs?

63. Krystle Cooke April 3, 2017 at 7:26 pm - Reply

I got a Jensy spinner for my son, had it one day and now it’s catching and loud.. not spinning right. I’ve read your info here but the bearing and the under half cover doesn’t want to come off so I can clean in alcohol.. I assume you mean rubbing alcohol right? And can I put the whole thing in it if the bearing doesn’t pop out? I don’t want to break it

• Beecher Bowers April 3, 2017 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Yes, rubbing alcohol. I haven’t been able to locate a picture of the Jensy spinner, but I wouldn’t suggest putting the whole spinner in alcohol. It may not dry out completely. If there’s no glue holding the cap on, you might try tapping the cap out from the opposite side with the eraser end of a pencil. If the cap won’t pop out, you may still be able to pop the bearing out using the method shown in the video above. Just tap from the side without the cap still attached. Even if the cap is attached, you could still rinse the bearing in rubbing alcohol, just dry it with a hair dryer on low heat, so the alcohol dries out quickly.

64. Derrick April 3, 2017 at 7:04 pm - Reply

My spinner has slowed down from spinning for 2 minutes and the next day to 30 seconds. What could cause this besides it being dirty and what can I do to get it to spin for longer now?

• Beecher Bowers April 3, 2017 at 7:39 pm - Reply

If it uses a ceramic bearing and has been dropped, it’s possible one of the ceramic ball bearings cracked. Other than that, it’s possible something in the center bearing is out of alignment or perhaps something caused it to become unbalanced.

65. Jeff April 2, 2017 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Like playdo?

• Beecher Bowers April 2, 2017 at 2:38 pm - Reply

that would work fine.

66. Jeff April 2, 2017 at 2:21 pm - Reply

Can I just glue my 2 halfs into the hole because it keeps falling off

• Beecher Bowers April 2, 2017 at 2:24 pm - Reply

You can, but don’t use superglue or similar. Depending on the type of plastic your current button is made of, it could dissolve the plastic or make it soft. A less permanent solution is to use a bit of putty in between the two halves. They’ll stay together but you can pull them apart if you need to.

67. Aiden April 2, 2017 at 2:13 pm - Reply

My halfs keep falling off of my middle piece what do I do

• Beecher Bowers April 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm - Reply

See the bottom of the article, I’d suggest getting a set of metal caps that screw together. They’ll outlast teh spinner and can be used on other spinners that use the same bearing, if you ever get a new spinner.

68. Khaleel April 2, 2017 at 7:23 am - Reply

I have a 2 way spinner and the bearing Is attached to the middle spinner bit now do i dis attach it

69. Din April 2, 2017 at 12:42 am - Reply

My bearing has rust… How do I get rid of it without breaking my spinner?Its a 608RS and ABEC-7

• Beecher Bowers April 2, 2017 at 8:11 am - Reply

You might try popping the bearing out of the spinner, spraying it out with WD-40, then rinsing in alcohol. Chances are, it won’t solve it 100% and you should just replace it if it doesn’t.

70. CJ March 30, 2017 at 3:47 pm - Reply

So my spinner is spinning kinda slow, and I don’t have access to compressed air, is their anyway to make it spin more quietly

• Beecher Bowers March 30, 2017 at 3:58 pm - Reply

If it’s a clicking sound, and you’re able to remove it, you can try rinsing it in rubbing alcohol, drying it with a cloth, then letting it air dry prior to putting it back in your spinner.
      If it’s a ceramic bearing, my experience has been that they’re noisier by nature and make a whirring sound as they spin.

71. Dragonball March 30, 2017 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Mine is glued how do I take it out?

• Beecher Bowers March 30, 2017 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Cautionary note: Do this at your own risk. You may try popping it out using the nickel method in the video above. It’s possible it could crack the spinner too.

72. Dalton March 29, 2017 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Ok thank you. What would you suggest I do to fix it? I did find some small cracks in the spinner.

• Beecher Bowers March 30, 2017 at 4:55 am - Reply

You most likely won’t be able to fix it well enough to get a stable spin out of it. Any glue or anything else used to fix the cracks will put the spinner off balance. You’ll probably need to buy a new one. At the very top of this post, there’s a link to another post about a couple different grades of fidget spinners. The metal spinners won’t crack, but cost more initially.

73. MDR March 29, 2017 at 6:21 pm - Reply

If i took of the rubber piece and all off metal balls fell out how would i put them back in to the middle

• Beecher Bowers March 29, 2017 at 7:09 pm - Reply

You’ll probably do better to buy a new bearing. Its pretty tricky to reassemble the bearing

74. Dalton March 29, 2017 at 5:28 pm - Reply

My center bearing and caps keep falling out when I spin it. It is like the bearing is to small to fit. Although I did not have this problem until I and other people have dropped it.

• Beecher Bowers March 29, 2017 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Check the body of the spinner for hairline cracks. They’ll be hard to see, but if it’s cracked near where the bearing is located, it may make it just flexible enough for the bearing to slide out.

75. Adrian March 27, 2017 at 7:26 pm - Reply

I have orange stuff inside my bearings is that rust?

• Beecher Bowers March 27, 2017 at 7:58 pm - Reply

most likely, yes.

76. Mason March 26, 2017 at 8:14 pm - Reply

My plastic part of my fidget spinner broke what do I do

• Beecher Bowers March 26, 2017 at 8:18 pm - Reply

Which part is broken? If the caps are broken, you can order new caps. If the body of the spinner is broken, you’ll need to buy a new one. Glue isnt really an option if you want the spinner to keep its balance.

77. Franco March 23, 2017 at 7:49 am - Reply

I am having trouble taking the center piece off what should i do

• Beecher Bowers March 23, 2017 at 11:58 am - Reply

This depends on the type of spinner you have. If it’s a really expensive model, there’s a chance the buttons unscrew. A cheaper model should pull apart, or there’s a slim chance it’s glued(unlikely).
      If you mean the bearing won’t come out, let me know and I’ll post a video of an easy trick to remove it.

78. Jack March 22, 2017 at 10:00 pm - Reply

What should I do if my bearing is the same size as all the others but one hole is bigger than the other three (I have a tri-spinner)? I don’t what to out weigh them so it doesn’t spin. What should I do?

• Beecher Bowers March 23, 2017 at 5:23 am - Reply

Hi Jack, Use the email address on the Contact Me page and send me a picture of the spinner.

79. Christopher March 16, 2017 at 4:06 pm - Reply

What lube should you use to lube up your spinner

• Beecher Bowers March 16, 2017 at 4:28 pm - Reply

For the fastest spin, I recommend you don’t oil your spinner bearing. Not only is oil messy, it will slow down the spinner as well. Oil lubricates to reduce heat when a bearing is under pressure, but there’s no pressure or heat with a fidget spinner. If your bearing has oil, I’d remove it. As long as you keep it away from moisture, you won’t have any negative side effects.

80. Jack Norfolk March 16, 2017 at 3:08 pm - Reply

What do I do if the middle piece won’t stay in when I spin it?

• Beecher Bowers March 16, 2017 at 3:11 pm - Reply

UPDATE: There are now replacement metal caps available for the common 608 size spinners. These screw together so they won’t fall out.
      Typically, the cap stays together by one piece tightly fitting into the bearing, and the other half of the cap tightly fitting into the first piece of the cap. If this doesn’t hold together anymore, the simplest solution is a small piece of putty in between the two cap halves. Second, you might try a thin wrap of tape around the piece of the cap that’s not fitting tightly. Lastly, might be 3d printing a new cap.

81. Dmid March 11, 2017 at 11:04 pm - Reply

How do I remove the little ring around the inside of the spinner after I get rid of the little balls?

• Beecher Bowers March 12, 2017 at 4:08 pm - Reply

The entire bearing assembly (both rings with ball bearings) in the center of the spinner should be pressed out of the spinner in one piece.